Thursday, March 5, 2015

Another Special Day to Look Forward To!

This is a post that I wrote more than a week ago about the 1st International Epilepsy Day. I did not post it until now which is the actual date of the International Epilepsy Day.

Happy reading.

"Birthday is an occasion where nobody ever wants to miss. Most, if not all of us look forward with much excitement to this particular day called "Birthday" in every calendar year. Whether it is a small or big celebration, we all love to celebrate our birthdays to remember that special day when we were born into the world.

My birthday for this year has passed but then there is another eventful day coming up on the way which is to me just as meaningful and even more exciting than my birthday. For the last three weeks, I have been crossing out the daily dates on my table calendar towards 9th February 2015.

The 9th of February 2015 is going to be a very significant and memorable day for epilepsy societies, people with epilepsy and also their caregivers all around the world. On this day the first International Epilepsy Day will be celebrated concurrently by 138 countries in which The International Bureau for Epilepsy (IBE) and The International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE) are being represented. With IBE and ILAE in official working relations with the WHO, and with IBE in Special Consultative Status in the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations, this makes International Epilepsy Day to be the most prestigious epilepsy event in the world.

The first International Epilepsy Day is on Monday, 9th of February 2015. Following on from this, the official day will be on the second Monday of February each year. This world day for epilepsy will be a major step in improving epilepsy awareness in every region of the world, and also highlight the urgent need for increased research into epilepsy.

With such a prominent day in the line up, I certainly won't want to miss this day or let it pass by uneventfully. I have done my early homework by submitting an epilepsy article to a local news media. If all goes as planned, my article should appear in the media on the 9th of February.

These days, a scroll in my Facebook shows so many epilepsy societies and epilepsy advocates like me, posting about their epilepsy activities and events that are meant to coincide with the first International Epilepsy Day. Viewing and reading the endless posts about epilepsy awareness and researches has widened my knowledge of epilepsy tremendously and I am very thankful about it.

For the last 13 over years as a person with epilepsy and an epilepsy advocate, I noticed a lot of advancement has been made in the areas of epilepsy awareness and research breakthroughs. Needless to say, this will continue to progress rapidly in the decades to come and it is my fervent hope that one day a cure will be found for epilepsy.

Once again, my sincerest and heartfelt thanks to IBE and ILAE for creating this momentous day - International Epilepsy Day."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write your comments here